Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 Johnson Outboard Help

Hi,

Was hoping if anyone may have some experience on what may be wrong with my 65ESL72S?

The motor starts first time almost every time goes into forward and reverse and looks great in a tub or with earmuffs on
    but as soon as I take the boat out in the lake it has no power or thrust under load. The boat just sits there going nowhere at all while still reving high.

I have checked the prop by drawing a line on the back hub to see if it is slipping and it is not.

I have also changed the gear oil to a type C which is recommended for the hydroelectric shift.

The marine mechanics that are in my area in Australia are not experienced at all with this motor at all.

Any ideas or knowledge you may regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Disconnect the wires that lead to the lower unit. The lower unit should now be locked in forward gear. If the prop is okay, the boat should jump forward as soon as you crank it over.

If, with those two wires disconnected, the boat doesn't jump forward when cranking... or move forward forward when running, Either you are mistaken about the propeller or a problem exists within the lower unit.

Comment

Thanks Joe I appreciate all the help I will try this and get back to you.

Comment

Did you get it fixed yet Paul?

Comment

Hi Joe,

I have found a guy who has a 55hp hydroelectric long shaft lower leg. Will this lower unit be compatible with my 65hp?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X