Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint

First, thanks for the forum. I have a 1998 Johnson 150 HP and looking to repaint motor. Any suggestion for best paint. I have a spray booth.? Thanks

My 30+ years in the trade have always encountered paint work with the compressed air spray cans although quart cans were available through the dealership for the more experienced painter/artist. So really not much help I can give you on the subject.

I will say that the best primer to use on aluminum is the Green Zink Chromate primer that has always been available through the dealerships. I've tried other primers through the years but all of them would eventually (short time) break free from the aluminum.

Comment

Thanks Joe.I will use the Zinc Chromate and I found a quart of OMC white and 'll just use a gun. I'm painting the whole motor so it'll probable be a newer white than the original 98.

Comment

I'm a DIY'er and restored a 16' flats boat with a 1985 Johnson 70hp last year using Interlux Perfection over Epoxy Primecoat. The boat came out great, but the motor didn't look so good. I wanted to the cowl to have a professional paint job but did not want to pay what they were asking. I had an extra cowl, so I figured I'd just get it looking good. I sanded it, filled the scratches with fiberglass filler, and used the Johnson/Evinrude White touch-up p/n 777171. I put on probably 4 coats, smooth sanding with 320 to 400 in between. After a week of dry time on the final coat, I used McGuires cleaner-wax and buffed it. I get compliments all the time.
        I finally ended up touching up the skeg that was bare metal with Johnson/Evinrude White touch-up p/n 777171. It came out so good I proceeded with the whole engine. I smooth sanded out the deep scratches with 220 grit, and put probably 5 coats of paint on it. Between coats I used 320, and 400 for the last. It looks brand new. The cowl was done last year, the mid-section is about 3 months old and still looks great. I live in Palm Beach and have regularly fished offshore, in the intercoastal, back country waterways, shallow water flats dragging the skeg through the sand, and down to Everglades City in the back country out to the gulf. That paint has held on through some pretty tough conditions. All in all I went through 3 cans that were approximately $10/can. I tried to upload pix, but I don't have privileges

Comment

Working...
        X