1978 Johnson 35HP wont go into forward gear but reverse works fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Johnson 35HP wont go into forward gear but reverse works fine

i have a problem with motor going into forward but reverse works fine I can put control into forward and blade wont spin I can barely push with my finger on the shifter handle on the side of motor and it will engage into gear. so that means its falling short from engaging, I have replaced shifter cable and throttle cable with brand new cables also had new shift linkage installed in lower unit.i have cable adjusted to the max and still falls short from engage. so any ideas ? and is there different size ends on cables or is they all the same? please help

The older OMC, Teleflex, possibly the Bombardier control cable ends that install on the older type cables, that lock onto the inner cable via a threaded barrel and two allen set screws... those ends were always the same length.

The wording of your post might be somewhat confusing. New cables... questioning cable end lengths, etc?

Are you saying that the engine shifted normally via the engine linkages itself... and this problem exists ONLY with the cables installed?

Comment

Working...
    X