1977 140 v4 Johnson idle problems! HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 140 v4 Johnson idle problems! HELP

Thanks for reading my post. Just getting into the boating world. So far nothing to complain about the boat or engine other then she burns rich with oil and it won’t idle. When I go to put it in gear it shuts off. Then when I start it again it’s rich smoke. Bad fuel/oil mix? Poss carb? Jets? Like I said I just getting into the boat world all or any help would be greatly appreciated. It does have the electric primer fuel sensor but it works. I also just replaced the fuel line with the primer ball on it.

Need to run a compression test and make sure all cylinders are even, no more then 15% different. Need to get oil/gas ratio corrected first but probably will need carbs cleaned, check intake manifold and port cover gaskets looking for air leaks. Check ignition and make sure it firing on all 4 cylinders at idle.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok. She’s all set. Took her to the launch today. Ran into another problem. The the boat hit the water and the motor turned over but then shut off now I have now power to the engine or trim. Zero. But everything else has power.

Comment

Check inline fuse on engine, check battery cables and cable connections are clean and tight.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X