1985 60hp - large hole in lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 60hp - large hole in lower unit

Ok I’m totally new to this forum. Where is the best place to buy older Johnson outboard parts? I need a complete lower unit for my 85 2cyl 60hp outboard due to a very crafty rock. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

They are no longer available and I don't see any reman's available for it either. Might search internet to see if can find a used or rebuilt one.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Well I found a case in Wisconsin. I also took a closer look at the damage. Gaping hole 3 by 4 inches in case. Took part of the bearing carrier too. Never seen one this bad. Interestingly there’s no wobble in the shaft. So the guts feel ok. Will know better when I take it apart.

Comment

I have found that many of the parts in the older models are shared between hp ratings and are continued for year models as the same part only the part # changes. The best people to help you with this are at Seaway Marine. They are the world's largest supplier of OEM parts both old and new. They helped me find the correct exhaust manifold gasket on my 85' 70hp when all of the manuals had a p/n typo. My guess is that if you can find a new lower unit housing, you are going to pay huge $$ for it. I would find out what models share that lower unit and try and find a remanufactured one or one you can rebuild. There are a couple of 70hp mid 80's Johnson's for sale in my area in FL that have good lower units. Where are you located?

Comment

Working...
        X