1985 70HP VRO Pump Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 70HP VRO Pump Rebuild

I have a 1985 Johnson 70 VRO, and it has been sitting for over 12 years. I am rebuilding the VRO pump and the fuel system in order to get the engine running again.

I am looking for detailed drawings or quality photos of the VRO pump in the engine, so that I can re-install the pump correctly in my engine.

I have the same motor that I purchased last summer on a project rebuild. The previous hull was in bad shape and sat for 6 years, but the owner ran the motor every couple of months to keep things moving so technically it didn't sit. He said that 15 years ago he bypassed the VRO and ran mixed gas because they are the most common reason for engine failures, especially being that old. I did a complete restoration last summer on the hull, rebuilt the carbs and replaced a few of the exhaust manifold gaskets (had pinhole leaks). I have run that engine on XD30 mixing gas/oil (previous owner stated he has run that for 20 years) for over 100 hours and just recently switched to XD50 to reduce smoke and because the XD30 is harder to find.
    I have been told that the age of the engine puts it past EOL (end of life) so on a catastrophic failure would mean a rebuild is not cost effective and may not be possible due to powerhead availability. I have also been told that that model "the looper" is one of J/E most reliable engines and will last forever if you take care of it. There is nothing wrong with my VRO, but after reading many engine forums I found that most engine failures of all first generation oil injected engines was the oil injection system, "VRO".
    If you choose to take on rebuilding the VRO, you can find detailed information, diagrams, and parts on Boats.net or Seaway Marine's website. Boats.net has a ton of info, but I have learned that Seaway is the world's largest supplier of OEM marine engine parts, both new and old. If Seaway can't get it, they will tell you mom and pop shops to try. There are only 2 models of Johnson 70hp in 1985. I have the J70TLC0S. Boats.net and Seaway pages for that is:

https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnso...tlcos/vro-pump

https://shop.seawaymarine.com/OEMpar...MP/32770/45016

Good Luck!

Comment

Go to UTUBE and type"VRO pump rebuild. it will show you how to remove and replace the pump.
      Or do what I did and plug off the oiler hose and just add oil to the fuel tank..

Comment

Working...
      X