Shifting cable throw seems to long in both directions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting cable throw seems to long in both directions

Hi, I just got a 115 - V4 - 1996 and replace the throttle and shifting cables all OEM. On the Throttle Remote I used the inner connection point for the cable, so it has the lesser throw distance of the two options.
    When adjusting the round set screw on the engine side of the shifting cable I have to twist it passed the visible threat to make the adjustment work. At this point the cable almost bottoms out when reverse shifting, and almost bents when forward shifting. It works, but you do feel it when using the Throttle remote, and I am worried that I am putting un-needed stress on the cable.
    Not sure if there is another way to lessen the throw lenght in both directions, since it goes into reverse and forward fine, just wants to push it to far.

Any advice appreciated, newbie when it comes to engines.
    Forward - Shift is top cable, looks like its bending
    Last edited by newimaging; 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Here is the Throttle remote. As mentioned I attached the shifting cable to the inside (lower) whole on the very top lever in the picture, so it would have the least throw.

Comment

The only other thing I could think of is using the 'rear crescent holes' in the remote control (see C below). But I do have a BRP cable, which according to the instructions is in the right place.

Comment

I know nothing about the control unit you show, but pertaining to the cable.... you mention allen screws and if you are using cables where you need to install the end guides, secured with two allen screws.... notice the inspection hole in the guide just past the clamp/allen screw slot.... you do not want the inner wire of the cable to extend into that hole... the inner cable should just have its end visible at the entry point of the hole. I normally stick some object in that hole (a round punch) to stop the inner cable from entering, then tighten one allen screw, then the other, then of course remove the punch. This keeps the cable at its proper length which is critical.

Now, that being said.... If you've had the lower unit off and the shift rod got turned off its critical height measurement... that will screw everything up in trying to get the shift adjusted properly.

Comment

Working...
          X