Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice!

Hey Johnson Outboard Forum!,

I am a brand new boat owner and I am quite happy after much consideration and research to join the Johnson family. I bought a 1997 Stratos 2100 Center Console 21 feet with a 1997 Johnson Oceanrunner (carburetor) V6, 2-stroke model J200RXEUA. The serial number is G04307436.

The reason for this post is simply for beginner's information on boat troubleshooting and maintenance procedures. I bought a manual from ( http://www.selocmarine.com/product_f...hp?Engine=3565 ) to guide me through periodic inspections, maintenance, rebuilding and recommended hardware for my motor. Although this printed manual is great for beginners, intermediate, and expert boat owners, I still have some questions and concerns for both my boat and motor. I hope to receive as much feedback and knowledge from the Johnson Outboard Community.

My intentions for owning my boat are for lake activities and offshore fishing adventures.

First;

I am currently located in the Midwest and winters can be rather harsh. Due to the extreme cold I winterized my boat. I executed these following procedures and would really appreciate some feedback whether I did this correctly, incorrectly, or simply did more than what i should of. My boat is located in outside storage, not in a climate-controlled indoor storage unit.

1. Pumped out the old lower control gear-case oil with brand new fresh gear-case oil recommended by the Seloc manual specific to my motor.
    2. Fogged and replaced all 6 spark plugs with brand new Champion spark plugs. Recommended by the Seloc manual specific to my motor.
    3. Ran anti-freeze through the ear muffs and circulated it through my engine. (Used the pink stuff) Rv/Boat Anti-freeze.
    4. Fogged the cylinders with the motor running (circulating anti-freeze) until the motor shut off.
    5. Disconnected the main fuel line to the motor.
    6. Cleaned and waxed the boat prior to storage.
    7. Sprayed clear coat 3 times on my trailer to prevent rust and oxidation.

I dumped a whole can of Sea Foam in 3/4 of a tank in my boat during a lake day prior to winterizing it. Therefore I did not pour in any Stabil.

Were my procedures correct? Did I miss any steps to safeguard my motor and boat for next time's use? Did I over do it?

*Another question I have for the Forum pertains to my boat. I have trouble locating my livewell but i am pretty sure it is located just forward of my center console. Can anyone inform me whether my boat actually has a livewell? Or do i need to modify it and install one?

*How do I go about testing my Bilge Pump? The one time i took it to the lake after spending more than 5-6 hours on the water, I flipped up my switches and never saw any water pour out of the sides. Is there a way to actually test the pump by filling water inside the boat? Or do i need to check for continuity and proper cable connections for the pump?

*My boat has a fuel/water separator installed. Do I need to buy one specific to my engine? (Johnson Model), or does any brand work fine? I know plastic/aluminum is preferred on marine engines, how often should those be replaced?

*Last but not least, what are the proper steps to get my boat up and running again as soon as the winter is over?

Thank you again for all your consideration, time, and effort to teaching me and enlightening me with your knowledge! Hope to hear from you guys soon.

I prefer to drain gas from carbs but on your engine you would have to remove air silencer and loosen main jet cover screw in each carb to drain. Need to disconnect and charge battery. You need to tilt motor all the way down and allow water to drain out of engine and gearcase, no need for anti-freeze if drain all water out.
    The live well will have a spray nozzle on upper portion of wall of tank, if no spray nozzle is found then boat doesn't have a live well. The livewell pump is usually in bilge area with pickup tube through hull of boat.
    As far as bilge pump put plug in boat( raise tongue of trailer up as high as possible) and fill boat with water, if has a auto bilge then bilge pump will turn on when water level gets about 1 to 2 inches above pump. The manual switch on dash should be able to pump water once you get about an inch of water in boat.
    Just hook up battery and prime fuel system to restart in spring.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Boats.net,

i forgot got to mention that I did disconnect all batteries including the starter battery and left them to trickle charge with a battery tender.

i appreciate the advice on the bilge pump and live well. I am currently deployed so I’ll get to that as soon as I get back.

Quick questions about removing the air silencer and removing the main jet cover screw.

1. Where exactly is this located?
      2. What is the purpose of these steps?
      3. Can I still benefit from this when I get back and execute your idea prior to restarting the motor for the spring?

Thanks!!!

Comment

The air silencer is plastic cover over carbs, disconnecting fuel hose and running engine out of gas wont remove all the gas from carbs, draining them will eliminate having to remove and clean carbs in the spring.
        Thank You for your service!
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X