Buy Johnson Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the manual relief valve so hard to install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the manual relief valve so hard to install?

Hi all. Converting my 3-cylinder 35hp Johnson J35TEL3EEM to power tilt is coming along.

Installing (and removing for that matter) the manual relief valve is much harder than it needs to be. The problem is Oring #9 in the image:

https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnso...ower-trim-tilt

Without the Oring, the manual valve winds in nice and easily. With the Oring, the valve is extremely difficult to screw in - it smears the Oring over the walls of the port in the cast aluminium housing.

The geometry of the port looks fine. The Oring is lubed with automatic transmission fluid before assembly.

Any tips or advice at all?

Thanks.
    Last edited by brw0513; 01-02-2019, 06:00 PM. Reason: Fixed link

I cleaned out the port walls, very carefully, with a well worn Dremel buff wheel. It seems even a tiny amount of scale will play havoc with the o'ring fitment. All done.

Comment

I just jumped back in here after a fair absence. Your original statement had me wondering if you were given the wrong O Ring as that's a unusual problem... normally the O Ring simply slides right in. Glad to hear that you spotted the cause and it's corrected.

Comment

Hi Joe. I'm glad you're back. The forum is slow without you.

I purchased one of these kits:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REBUILD-KIT...lAR0:rk:1:pf:0

The quality seems good - time in operation will tell. Unfortunately, the outermost O-ring on my manual release valve was damaged beyond accurate measurement when finally removed.

The kit was not individually packaged nor individually identified by part number. Several of the O-rings were close in size and candidates to use. One was noticeably softer than the others too. It is possible I used the wrong o-ring as a first choice.

There was some information provided with the kit but the supplier was totally unhelpful with my particular question. I should cut and paste his reply so others can have a laugh. This was very difficult to understand and accept given he obviously must have had the information to assemble the kit in the first place.

I often think Americans must believe us Aussies just sit on our verandahs wearing a broad bring hat with corks suspended from string to chase flies away and watch kangaroos hop down the street.

Comment

Originally posted by brw0513 View Post
          Hi Joe. I'm glad you're back. The forum is slow without you. ....... I often think Americans must believe us Aussies just sit on our verandahs wearing a broad bring hat with corks suspended from string to chase flies away and watch kangaroos hop down the street.
          Nice to know that my efforts are appreciated my friend.

The American impression.... No, not all of us think that way, and I take no offense from your way of thought. I sort of have the picture in my mind of Mick Dundee pulling that blade out of its sheath and stating "Now, that's a knife!"

Comment

Working...
          X