Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard Lifting Point

Hi All.

The electric tilt conversion of my 35Hp 3-cyl Johnson is coming along nicely. It will soon be time to lift the outboard off the boat (aluminium hull), drill the transom, swap over the brackets and remount.

I will hire a hoist to do the lifting.

But I've only been able to find one lifting point on the engine. I was expecting to find two or three and to need a sling to spread the load. Is one all that is needed? Will the engine be nicely balanced about this point for easy removal off the boat and refitting?

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the 3 cyl 35hp model due to retiring in 1991... BUT... normally there would be three threaded holes surrounding the flywheel nut of which a lifting ring would be secured. Lifting at that point has the engine being removed perfectly level.

Other than that, using a lifting strap of suitable strength would be the way to go, securing it in such a manner that it could not possibly slip off.

Comment

Thanks Joe.

I'll have a look for those three threaded holes in the flywheel.

Would I be right to assume the single lift bracket #0326023 is really only to be used to remove the power head and not to lift the whole outboard?

https://www.boats.net/product/johnso...?q_ref=0326023

Comment

Originally posted by brw0513 View Post
        Thanks Joe. I'll have a look for those three threaded holes in the flywheel. Would I be right to assume the single lift bracket #0326023 is really only to be used to remove the power head and not to lift the whole outboard? https://www.boats.net/product/johnso...?q_ref=0326023
        That I couldn't answer with complete factual knowledge. I will say that the 3 bolt lifting rings of my day (1960-1991) which were worded in the same manner were also used to lift the entire engine. I could only assume that today's lifting rings are built as strong or stronger.

Comment

Hi again Joe.

You are right - my flywheel has three threaded holes (5/16" UNF) centred about the retaining nut.

I see OMC did sell a lifting adapter at one time - Part # 0396748 . For some unknown reason this forum won't let me post pics (arghhh!) but pics are available via a google search.

I'll make up an adaptor plate and buy an eye bolt to replicate the OMC item.

Maybe OMC fitted a lifting bracket so it was possible to fit a new engine without needing to remove the rope pull starter?

Comment

Originally posted by brw0513 View Post
            Hi again Joe.

You are right - my flywheel has three threaded holes (5/16" UNF) centred about the retaining nut. I see OMC did sell a lifting adapter at one time - Part # 0396748 . For some unknown reason this forum won't let me post pics (arghhh!) but pics are available via a google search. I'll make up an adaptor plate and buy an eye bolt to replicate the OMC item. Maybe OMC fitted a lifting bracket so it was possible to fit a new engine without needing to remove the rope pull starter?
            In the past, the spacing of the three threaded holes were all the same.... from the smallest hp model to the largest. I don't know why they would change that if that's why you are thinking of using an adapter. However..... whatever is needed, I'm sure you'll come up with it.

I'm afraid that removing the "over the flywheel" type manual starter will be a forever item that falls under the category of "necessary To Remove".

Comment

Working...
            X