1999 150 Ficht Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 150 Ficht Issue

First time on here so... I don't see a lot of Ficht engines in my shop but I have one in here now that is a Bermuda Triangle mystery. Engine came in with a fuel delivery issue and while diagnosing, found that it had the wrong plugs and were not indexed correctly. Fuel delivery issue was lift pump diaphragm so rebuilt lift pump, fixed that. it's a 99 model with unpinned heads and had Champion plugs for pinned heads. I wouldn't allow a Champion spark plug in my shop so I installed a set of NGK's, correct ones, indexed properly, even though some say the unpinned heads don't need to be indexed. Test ran it, in gear idle good, just off idle good and wide open good. In the mid range it acted like a slight intermittent miss. Brought it back to the shop to troubleshoot, found that one of the boots between the air box and throttle body was missing. Replaced it thinking maybe trying to lean that cylinder a little then went back to lake test again. Backed it in, checked primer bulb, fired it up, let it warm in neutral for a minute or so, then put it in forward gear in order to bring it up to about 1400 rpm and let it continue to warm up. Went in gear fine, then as soon as the throttle linkage moved, engine would die, but start right back up. Then tried it with throttle only, same result. Then disconnected shift switch, same deal. Then with engine running in neutral, reached in and barely moved the arm on the tps, engine died. Same result in gear. back to the shop, hooked up my M.E.D.S and ran diagnostics, no codes. Moved throttle back and forth, tps seems fine. pulled tps, did bench test with digital and analog meters, no issues, checked ohms, perfect. Talked to Clark at CDI and Chip at DFI Diagnostics. They are both scratching their heads. Fuel pressure perfect, in case I didn't mention that. Did code retrieval on dash and showed no codes also. Would anyone have any input as to what may be going on here? I'm just about to the point of pulling EMM and sending in.

That's usually a out of sync problem, check TPS voltage at idle position I don't have a manual with me but I think it should be .5 volts at idle. If it's high then check throttle linkage and see if throttle plates are all closing.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X