johson 25 hp won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johson 25 hp won't start.

Model number J25RSID ... The engine has been sitting for 10+ years. I replaced spark plugs and cleaned the fuel filter. It won't start. There is compression, ignition, the rope pulls clean, sounds like it wants to turn over. The pump stays firm. There is fuel leaking out the propeller area.
    Last edited by griffinfoley1; 03-25-2019, 05:21 PM.

2001 Johnson Rope Start.

Sitting for that length of time... the carburetor needs cleaning and rebuilding.

Compression is good... how good? What is the psi reading of the individual cylinders?

Spark, with the s/plugs removed, should jump a 7/16" air gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

Comment

i removed one plug and tried to start it and almost light my buddy on fire haha! I just took apart the carburetor, looks clean, ill rebuild it when i get the kit. ill check the psi reading tomorrow and get back to you. thanks for the quick reply!

Comment

Originally posted by griffinfoley1 View Post
        i removed one plug and tried to start it and almost light my buddy on fire haha! I just took apart the carburetor, looks clean, ill rebuild it when i get the kit. ill check the psi reading tomorrow and get back to you. thanks for the quick reply!
        The spark jumping the 7/16" air gap with all s/plugs removed is important. However lighting up your buddy takes 2nd place.

The carburetor.... Do not overlook the brass high speed jet located horizontally in the the bottom center portion of the float chamber... way in back of the drain screw. Clean it carefully with a piece of single strand steel wire as solvent just doesn't do that job properly. Fuel must flow thru that jet before it can gain access to any other fuel passageway.

Comment

Working...
        X