Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black oil dripping from outboard prop

Hey Johnson Outboard Forum,

Today i removed my boat from storage and ran up my 1997 200 HP Johnson Ocean Runner 2 stroke outboard. I winterized my boat therefore prior to storage i sprayed fogging oil into the cylinders. I also disconnected my fuel line and instead of pouring Stabil into my fuel tank, I dumped a whole can of Seafoam. The boat sat for 4-5 months. After running the motor for 5-15 minutes, i noticed a lot of black oil mixed with water built up inside my prop. An hour later, the liquid turned into a smudge or a type of gooey substance. Is this normal? is the motor trying to burn all the fogging oil? Could it be that i need to rebuild my carburetor? I will attach a picture to this thread of what the inside of my prop looks like. Please let me know as soon as possible if this is a normal thing or it is in fact a problem worth fixing. Thanks!

Shesho..... What you are seeing is the non-burnt solution you had put in your engine during the winterizing process... nothing to do with the lower unit and that gear-lube would be a different coloration and viscosity. However, if that concerns you, check the gearcase lube before using the engine.

The long exhaust housing between the powerhead and lower unit has a inner tuning tube which get really coated with a black soot like substance... and the excess stuff you've put in the engine simply runs down that inner tube/housing... and the end result is what you're looking at.

This happens with a lot of engines, in particular the 9.9hp & 15hp models.

Comment

Joe Reeves,

Thank you so much for your input! i was beginning to feel worried. I will hook up the ear muffs and run the engine longer to get the rest of the stuff out. Thanks!

Comment

On a engine that size, running on a flushette, have the water turned on full force. Something you already know, I'm sure... but worth mentioning.

Comment

Working...
        X