Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 130 ocean pro.........no up on the tilt/trim

so......
    my motor tilts down with no problem whatsoever!!!..........
    as I push the up button, the motor starts to go up with the 2 smaller rams until it gets up to where the single larger middle ram takes over.............once here, I get little to no movement from the motor UNLESS I HELP IT UP!!!
    I have checked the fluid, to which it has enough.........I've cycled it up and down several times to see if it might have air in the system with no luck........
    I'M NOT SURE WHAT ELSE TO LOOK FOR OR TRY IN ORDER TO MAKE THIS WORK PROPERLY!!!

H E L P!!!!!!

any and all info on this matter would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!!!

Steve T

You checked the fluid... it has enough?

Assuming that the electric motor continues to run at its normal speed (or higher) when this problem is encountered................

With the engine tilted to its highest point and locked there... the reservoir must be filled to overflowing. If this is not the case, fill it to overflowing and repeat as needed to eliminate air blocks until you're sure the reservoir will hold no more.

Have you noticed any leakage? Let us know what you find.

Comment

I've had the motor tilted up past where its usually kept......almost touching the boat with the hood of the motor.......have unscrewed the fill cap to see if the reservoir has enough fluid and before I can get the cap off, the fluid is coming out.
      the electric motor continues to run at normal speed (and even a little faster if you help it by lifting the motor while you press the up button) until you let off the up button............no issues in the down direction.
      as far as leaks go, there isn't any leaking happening around the seals and theres no leak down either.
      and being sure if theres plenty or enough fluid, once the motor is tilted up to where I can't raise it any higher, as I'm taking the cap off, the fluid runs out......I try to squirt a little bit more fluid into the reservoir and then cover it with my finger to make sure that any fluid that may want to come back out again stays in there and I put the cap back on it and cycle the system up and down and least once or twice to see if it alleviates the issue, to which it doesn't.............WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????

Comment

As long as fluid is present at the reservoir fill hole when the engine is in the full tilt position, that's perfect... no extra fluid is needed.

I'm assuming that when the engine is finally at that full tilted position (with your physical help)... and NOT LOCKED... it stays raised and DOES NOT leak down, being held there only by hydraulic pressure. If this holds true, then the tilt cylinder itself is not at fault. However, if the engine stays in the tilted position, that brings into play the fact that there must be a faulty valve somewhere allowing the high pressure generated by the oil pump to slip past the valve... and unfortunately there are a few of them. I will attempt to upload a diagram of the PTT hydraulic system for your viewing.

The two easiest valves to get at.............
        There is the Shuttle Valve Assembly. Staring at the unit, to the left (port) side of the port trim ram, you will see a large slotted component which is a relief valve for the shuttle assy. On the opposite side of the PTT unit (the side against the boat), there is a identical relief valve. The brass shuttle within slides back and forth, changing passages (up/dn). Remove the relief valve you can see and withdraw the shuttle valve with its two springs for inspection. Look for a damaged "O" Ring, scores that may indicate sticking, etc.

Then there is the Manual Release valve. Hopefully that valve has been shut completely and was not loose to create this problem.
        Use caution here. In the hole containing the release valve, there is a lock ring which would need removing first. This lock ring is a safeguard against having the valve drop off in the water. If one tries to remove the release valve without removing the lock ring first, the sealing "O" Ring of the valve will be damaged. Check the "O" Ring and the sealing face surface of the valve.

Have a wide mouth container available to catch the fluid that will be draining out with the release of those valves... it'll make a mess! If neither valve presents a problem you can correct, hopefully you can solve it thru the attached graphic if I can upload it that details the units complete working theory.

I did figure how to upload attachments (Graphics) but then found that wasn't allowed, sorry. Contact me at... reevesj32@aolcom for the graphics.

Comment

Working...
        X