Johnson 9.5 idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 9.5 idle

Does this idle sound okay? i feel like it’s too high. This is the lowest I can throttle down before the motor starts to sputter. I have cleaned the carb and it has a brand new fuel pump. The motor is a 1971 Johnson 9.5 hp.
    Post with 2 votes and 1 views. Shared by jontaylor499. Idle

Cannot get your video to surface.

Use Champion spark plugs in that engine, gaped at .030.

What is the psi compression reading of each cylinder?

With s/plugs removed, the spark should jump a 1/4" air gap with a strong blue lightning like flame, a real SNAP!... Does it? (That air gap is important!)

The nylon guide on that carburetor should be dead center with a scribe mark on the cam sliding against it when the throttle butterfly just starts to open, Check it.

If all of the above is as it should be... and the engine will not idle properly, the usual cause is that the carburetor needs cleaning, rebuilding, and adjusting. The adjustment is as follows.
    (Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
    (J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Comment

I'm having a problem with the water pump impeller assy, I removed the thermostat covers and cleaned them thoroughly. I've been using water muffs for testing and replaced the water tube. It started up yesterday and shot water from the hose a good eight feet but then stopped. Whatever is wrong, I suspect it's a defect in the engine from creation because the engine has no running time on it. Its paint looks brand new. This is the seventh time I've tried to solve my problem with no luck. Please advise? I appreciate your time.

Comment

Originally posted by russchessnut View Post
        I'm having a problem with the water pump impeller assy, I removed the thermostat covers and cleaned them thoroughly. I've been using water muffs for testing and replaced the water tube. It started up yesterday and shot water from the hose a good eight feet but then stopped. Whatever is wrong, I suspect it's a defect in the engine from creation because the engine has no running time on it. Its paint looks brand new. This is the seventh time I've tried to solve my problem with no luck. Please advise? I appreciate your time.
        Previous page - Top left area - Click on "New Topic" - start your own post/topic/thread - It would be a good idea to list exactly what engine you're talking about. Shot water from what hose eight feet?

Comment

Working...
        X