Remove prop shaft johnson 50hp 1986

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove prop shaft johnson 50hp 1986

Hi all I am trying to remove prop shaft out of my gearbox.i have removed the bearing carrier and reverse gear but can't seem to pull shaft out it moves a inch or so but seems to be locked in. I have removed the screw from side of gearbox by the water intake. But can't see anything else what would be holding the shaft in place. Any idea's

thank you Dave
    Last edited by Smeagol; 05-21-2019, 01:57 PM.

It's necessary to remove the driveshaft... and also the shift rod. The propshaft, forward gear, and the shift arrangement comes out as a unit.

Comment

Hi Joe thanks for the reply I have removed the pinon nut but the pinon gear is still on drive shaft and won't come off, tried pulling drive shaft pinion gear will not move.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeagol View Post
        Hi Joe thanks for the reply I have removed the pinon nut but the pinon gear is still on drive shaft and won't come off, tried pulling drive shaft pinion gear will not move.
        Slide a large screwdriver tip [or your choice of tool) between the driveshaft and the propshaft to take up space, then tap the propshaft upwards. That will release the gear from the driveshaft. Use care not to damage the driveshaft's threads.

NOTE: When you reinstall that driveshaft nut, it "must" be torqued to factory specifications which I do not have in front of me at the moment. You'll need to obtain that info by yourself. Perhaps Boat.net will enter it.

Comment

Good news drive shaft out and prop shaft slid out many thanks Joe great service will find info on drive shaft nut thank you again

Comment

We knew you could do it!

Comment

Working...
            X