Johnson 2000 J225HPLSSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 2000 J225HPLSSC

Do you have to remove the powerhead to replace the water tube ?

Unfortunately, yes. Why are you planing on replacing it?

It's necessary to remove the powerhead and lower unit, then the adapter plate the powerhead sits upon in order to gain access to the tube retaining screws. Hellava job!

Comment

Because my friend let it run without the water running and melted the water pump impeller he put in a new water pump kit and it still is not working ! I think the tube is plugged with melted impeller pieces !

Comment

Hopefully your friend did not miss the water pump's grommet with the water tube. If he did, the water tube has probably got shoved upwards due to hitting the water pump elsewhere... and if so (instead of impeller pieces in the tube), it will be necessary to pull the tube downwards while straightening it out with portions of 1x2" pieces of wood... various lengths.

If however the tube is not bent and indeed the problem is pieces of impeller in the tube, try lengths of piano wire with a slight hook or "L" shape on the end to yank that stuff out (works for me). Keep us updated.

Comment

The pieces that were still in the water pump housing melted so bad they and fastened to the pump housing hard as a rock and could not be removed ! I should mention that my friend is having trouble with his memory and I believe he run it for quiet some time without the water on and he told me he revved it up to high rpms several times ! I put a new water pump impeller in it for him last fall ! My wife is very sick and I can not get down there to help him much anymore ! I talked to him last night and he is taking it to mechanic tomorrow !

Comment

Troubles all the way around... I understand. Yes, best choice is as you say... the engine is headed for a mechanic's shop.

Comment

Hey Joe ! I have a question about your timing method ! When you do the timing method should the motor be in forward gear ! That is the one thing your timing method does not make clear ! It is a 1980 70 HP Evinrude !

Comment

Originally posted by smack53 View Post
                Hey Joe ! I have a question about your timing method ! When you do the timing method should the motor be in forward gear ! That is the one thing your timing method does not make clear ! It is a 1980 70 HP Evinrude !
                There's no need for the engine to be in gear... it would just add on a drag scenario.

Comment

Working...
                X