1986 Johnson 120 VRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Johnson 120 VRO

I was cruising down the river last month when I heard something like the lower end of the engine hit something in the water. The boat slowed and I throttled up and the RPM increased and the engine sounded fine, however the boat would not go over 5 +/- knots. I limped back almost 10 miles to the launch at 5 knots. I figured I spun the prop by hitting a submerged log or something because a broken prop shaft or sheared worm drive gear would have disabled the boat completely.

I brought the prop to my local prop shop to have a new doughnut installed and they told me they tested the prop, it wasn't spun and that it was fine. I reinstalled the prop and launched the boat, the engine runs and revs fine but the boat will not exceed 5 knots.

Has anyone experienced this?

Have you looked at bottom of boat to see if have damage to hull? Doesn't sound like a gear or bearing problem in lower unit but might check lower unit oil for metal in oil. The bottom drain screw has a magnet on it and you see a lot of metal on screw( small amount of metal is normal) then may have damage inside lower unit.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I drained the gearcase this morning. The gear oil was clean with no signs of water intrusion and no metal, not even filings. I am going to take the prop to another shop to re-test the hub, I think its a simple spun hub.

Comment

You can scribe a line across the hub of prop and down across prop washer & nut. Take boat out for a run and if your line is still lined up then prop hub is not slipping. The prop hub does normally need replacing after hitting something.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I would have it in the water today if there wasn't 4" of ice on the river. Is there any other way of testing for a spun prop other than taking it to a prop shop?

Comment

Not unless you have an old prop shaft you can clamp into a vise slide prop over shaft and try to turn prop blades on hub to see if slips.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X