1980 40hp no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 40hp no spark

I don't know which way to turn. Last year I was dropping a cylinder now and then and ended up puting it away in that condition, Spring is here and it was time to take a look. Only now,there is no spark in both. While being a motor head of sorts, I have no clue about electrical issues with outboards. I was testing wires off the switch and they are good but when I held the switch in my hand and cranked the motor, I got zapped as if I had a plug wire in my hand. I think it was off the black wire but didn't want to "test "again.lolI found I have power to the switch but there is nothing switched when in the on position. The choke works when the key is pressed.Anybody have any suggestionsas to what a step by step order of testing goes? Oh yeah, I noticed thet the plate under the flywheel moves up and down as the flywheel turns, It's a good 1/16 of an inch and I'm guessing it acts this way as a magnet passes.
    Thanks

I suggest ordering a manual for the electrical testing proceedures. the plate is not to move up and down, just rotate.

Original outboard product and service manuals for Johnson, Evinrude, Gale, and OMC
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X