Gel Cells will fry a regulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gel Cells will fry a regulator?

Hey guys. Last weekend I noticed my Volts meter would peg out at 18V when the engine was past 2500 RPM, back down to 14V below 2500. I have a 1990 Johnson 200 GT on a 21' Stratos Fish/Ski. I bought the boat last Oct. and since then I have been using an Optima Blue Top dual purpose battery to start the engine/run accessories.

January of this year I noticed the original rectifier/regulator stopped working, so I replaced it- thinking it was just old and time for it to go. Well, back to last weekend when I noticed it pegging out my volt meter- I checked connections, cursed, yelled, and beat the steering wheel while I couldnt figure out why a $200 part would stop working after replacing it 5 months ago and only using the boat a handful of times.

Come to find out, (according to CDI) you are not supposed to use any kind of maintenance-free, sealed battery- AGM, Gel Cell, to use as your starting/cranking battery. Has anyone hear of this, or is this just an OMC thing?

Most of engine manufactures don't recommend them as they are compatible with outboard charging system.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X