Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Engine Light only at low RPM's

Hi Guys,

I have a 2003 215 Explorer with a 2002 Johnson J175PX 2 stroke outboard. Once again I am getting a "Check Engine" light error (30-45 second long beep) occurring at low idle only. Runs great when throttled up. I know this means fuel restriction. I have a new racor. I also cleaned out the white cone shaped screen behind the fuel pump. After a little research I see that some people are being told to check their anti syphon valve. I did this and knocked out the ball bearing still runs rough at idle. What/Where else should I attempt to troubleshoot this problem. I know I need to check all fuel lines for kinks, but what if one of the gas line in my engine (that I cannot see) has a pin hole in it? How would I be able to troubleshoot that?

Of all the research I have been doing online, everyone says their check engine light is coming on at high RPM's. Mine is ONLY happening at idle or just in gear. In the water I idle around 750 and in gear at 650. The engine runs a little snotty the light comes on and the engine dies out. If I get it going the check engine light goes away. The boat runs great WOT.

Do you think my idle is too low? I was told that my idle for this engine should be around 1000rpm...seems a bit high to me. My book states 750. I've read that it could also be the vacuum switch and/or the pulse limiter fitting for the VRO pump. Does this sound correct?

Thanks in advance for any suggetions...Greg

Try running a 6 gallon portible gas tank and hose connected direct to engine, if runs ok then have a problem with fuel system in boat.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X