Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive shaft Removal

Hello all,
    Can anyone tell me how to get the drive shaft out of a 48SPL Johnson lower unit. I have removed everything to replace all seals and o rings. I cannot figure out even with a SEACOL manual on how to get this drive shaft out. I pulled the prop shaft and got it out taken the thrust bearing off the drve shaft, butstill cannot get it to budge. HELP!!!

You have to remove nut on pinion gear then drive shaft should pull out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      You have to remove nut on pinion gear then drive shaft should pull out.
      If I do that how would you get the pinion gear back on when you install it? Or tighten the nut back?

Comment

The pinion is splined, it's not too difficult to get back on.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

shaft

If I had the shaft out I know I could remove the nut. But do you just remove the water pump and the housing below the water pump and the shaft just removes out of the top. Or do you have to completely disassemble the lower unit to remove the drive shaft?

Comment

You would have to disassemble gearcase to get drive shaft out.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy View Post
              If I had the shaft out I know I could remove the nut. But do you just remove the water pump and the housing below the water pump and the shaft just removes out of the top. Or do you have to completely disassemble the lower unit to remove the drive shaft?

Well it took a little bit to get the lower unit gears out with a puller. after that I was able to get to everything and take the shaft out. It was a job to get everything back in. One caution is when you replace everything make sure you put the lower unit screws back in beofre you start trying to line up the shifting shaft. I forgot and it took me about 2 hours figuring out that the shaft knuckle has to be set to not move so it will go in and out of gear. Oh well its back in and everything is running like a champ. New parts new paint should last a long time. I cannot believe the water pump never was changed and it even looked like it was just about to break. 92 motor finally changed water pump in 2010. Granddad loved to fish but sacrificed his motor and boats.

Comment

Working...
              X