1987 Sailmaster J8SRLCUD charging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Sailmaster J8SRLCUD charging question

Does anyone have any knowledge about the charging circuit of the aforementioned outboard? I have the shop manual, but it barely mentions the alternator circuit.

Here's the situation. This is a manual start engine. There's two wires coming off the charging circuit of the motor that are connected directly to the battery via the battery master on/off switch and a 1 amp fuse. At idle, the wires output about 4 volts, and the voltage rises to about 16v at full throttle. When connected to the battery that shows a voltage of 12.58 at rest (a new basic deep-cycle battery), the voltage read across the battery terminals increases as the engine is revved but not dangerously so... maybe to 13v... but reads lower than the battery at rest when the engine is idling.

There are no regulators anywhere in the line, other than whatever is under the hood of the outboard.

Is all well? Is something wrong? I'm concerned about the huge swing in voltage output between idle and full throttle... 4v - 16v or more. The 1 amp fuse seems a little low to me, too. The original fuse was blown when I took possession of the boat; I temporarily replaced it w/ a 5 amp just to run a quick test or two. 2 amps, maybe?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Barry
Working...
X