Starting and fueling 50ESL71S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting and fueling 50ESL71S

I was given one of these motors for a GlassMaster runabout I'm restoring. I know last year it ran because I heard it. He claims is would only operate full throttle, but linkage is moves freely. I suspect user error.

Prior owner didn't know proper fuel ratio, is it 24:1 or 50:1.

What is the proper starting process? I assume the key works like a car?

Use 50:1 oil ratio(if been sitting for a long time might start on 25:1 mix). When cold starting, pump primer bulb up, give about 1/3 throttle, push in on key to choke and start up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks it will be a while before I get this thing together enough to put into water and attempt to start. The fuel mix thoughts seem totally spot on, that's what I will do.

I notice that it has a "choke" switch below the ignition switch, what is that for?

Also it has a "warm-up" lever outside the throttle with "start" and "run" labeled on it. Is that how you get 1/3 throttle on this model?

Reason I ask is that the shift and throttle seem to be build into the one large lever on the control. (F - N - R). So if I use that to get to 1/3 throttle I think it would be in forward gear.

Comment

If yours is like mine, yes you have to push the red button on the idler lever while you raise it up for start. Hold up the choke switch and turn the key.

I hope your switch in your control for forward, neutral and reverse is good, that switch is not available any longer.

Comment

Thanks.

Guess if it don't work, I can look at as a "free" motor that just cost me some time....

Comment

Working...
          X