75' 6hp rough idle/stalls at slow position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75' 6hp rough idle/stalls at slow position

Hey all, new to the forum but thought it would be a useful wealth of information for my aged boat and motor So the scenario with this motor is it sat for 2 years, indoors and heated. It starts on pull 4 or 5 but has a tough time at idle. To keep it running I have to keep the throttle at the shift position and it barely holds there. It seems to buck a bit and has some undesirable vibrations at this rpm. I have let it warm for about 30 min and slowly tried backing the rpm's down but still it will run very rough and finally just sputter out. I checked the plugs, and have tried several lean/rich positions but still it will not allow Idle down. I must say it seems to run well with the gears engaged (have not taken it out on the water, just in a 55 gal bucket) but cannot get the motor to run on the slow setting. Does it need a tune/carb rebuild or does it just need some hours run on the water with it to blow all the basement cheese out of her? Please advise!

Need to remove and clean carb, probably has plugged jets and passages in carb.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X