71 Johnson 50 hp clicking before going in reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71 Johnson 50 hp clicking before going in reverse

I have a 71 Johnson 50 hp model 50ESL71S that was working fine, it goes into forward just fine, but when I go into reverse I get a clicking sound before it goes into reverse, clicking is not a good description, but I don't know of a better way to describe it. After the sound, it will back up, but I am not sure it is as strong as it use to be. This started last year and may be worse this year. I have only had the boat for about 2 1/2 years, and I changed the lower unit oil at the first of the season for the last for the last 2 years. The first year, there were some oil in the boat when I got it, so I just used it, this year, I went to Walmart and picked up a bottle, could I have used the wrong oil, or is there something I can check. The switch went out in the control just after I got the boat, and I wired in a DPDT switch in and it worked great for the rest of that year and most of the next.

If it has the electric shift gearcase on it then parts are next to impossible to find for it. The electric shift gearcase needs to have the Evinrude/Johnson Premium Blend gearcase lube(made for electric shift gearcases) used in it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X