Buy Johnson Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 Johnson 60. Rev goes thru roof and keeps climbing when I give it a little gas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Johnson 60. Rev goes thru roof and keeps climbing when I give it a little gas.

(J60elco. Model) motor will idle somewhat a little high then when I give it a quick rev and bring handle back down.the rev will go thru the roof and won’t stop. I will have to turn the key off to get it to quit. Then I can start it back up and we are back to a little rev till I move the throttle and rev starts screaming. I need help please I have checked everything I can think of. The carb linkage seems to be fine and it has brand new cable.

Look at carb throttle plates are all closing when throttle is at idle, then open and close throttle to see if any plates are sticking, look at timing advance plate under flywheel to make sure it moves freely from idle to wide open throttle and is not sticking.
    An air leak on intake manifold will cause it to run lean and rev up, look for broken gasket or broken recirculating hoses, may need to remove and clean carbs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I had a similar issue on an 85 70hp. It resolved after changing the throttle/shift cables. While they seemed to be good when it wasn't running, they were not returning to idle in sync with the handle on the remote. If everything in the above recommendation is normal, try disconnecting the cables on the engine side and run it.

Comment

Thank y’all. The carb kits should be here Thursday and I’m going to rebuild them. I will post update friday

Comment

Working...
        X