Help Please - Power Tilt Manual Release Valve Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please - Power Tilt Manual Release Valve Removal

I've purchased a seal kit for my power tilt unit (1999 35Hp 3 cylinder 2-stroke). Even basic disassembly of the tilt unit has been a challenge to say the least. It took me all day to remove the four motor mount screws and that required an impact screw driver Needless to say I'll be putting cap screws back in and using an anti-sieze compound on the threads.

Next problem is removal of the manual release valve i.e. Part #8 in the exploded diagram (Jeez I wish I could post images on this forum ). The circlip was easy to get out. The valve was difficult to start moving, but it started to move then just stopped and wouldn't budge. Of course now the slot in the head is rounded. That darn thing is stuck fast.

Any ideas to help me get it out?

I'm assuming it should just unscrew and come out. There is a hex grub screw in the area that I assume is only required to seal up a fluid passageway. It doesn't serve double duty as some form of stopper does it?

Thanks.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/jo...er+Trim%2Ftilt

You might want to get an impact screw driver and also try some heat on it.

Comment

I did manage to get it out. I held the trim unit in a vice and used a rather large square shank flat blade screw driver and a small shifting spanner for the turning effort. Lots of force on the end of the screw driver too. A heat gun as well. What a crazy idea for a bleed screw.

The screw head is now near useless. I'm going to chuck it up in my lathe and face the end off. Then silver solder a stainless hex head bolt. That should be good for the future.

Comment

Working...
      X