Impeller replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeller replacement

I have a 2004 Johnson 4 stroke, 40 HSP, Serial number 17022468, Model: J40PL4ST. Before I put the pontoon in the water, I noticed that no water was coming out the cooling exit port. I suspected I needed a new impeller. I dropped the lower unit and saw that I had a hard cast impeller housing so all I needed was the impeller, ware plate and gaskets. I replaced all those and the project went smoothly. When I reassembled and tested the engine, with water being fed through water headphones, it started to spit water and then only spat out air with just a little water. I suspect that maybe I'd not put the "key" in properly, so I disassembled and inspected it all again. Everything was done correctly. Is it common for this to happen? Does it maybe take a long time for the water to circulate through the engine? Will it only circulate after a period of time? Please offer any advice you may have. I'd really appreciate it before I put the pontoon and motor in the water. Thanks.

Sounds like not getting enough water supplied to water pump, try putting it in water and run it. Should see a difference when start up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X