Johson 200TL76S Dying at Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johson 200TL76S Dying at Idle

Hello, new to the Forum. Recently purchased a boat that came with a Johnson 200TL76S serial# J4591070. Ran the motor in my driveway with the ears and it ran great. Took it out on the water this past weekend and has some little set backs. The motor would die everytime I moved it from idle to Forward. However it would not die just idling. It only dies when I go from Idle to forward. I can hear the RPMS lower when I get ready to put it in gear and then it dies. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated before I start messing with it.

Remove "all" spark plugs.
    Do a compression check... What are the psi readings of all the individual cylinders?
    Do a spark test... The spark should jump a 7/16" air gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Reeves View Post
      Remove "all" spark plugs.
      Do a compression check... What are the psi readings of all the individual cylinders?
      Do a spark test... The spark should jump a 7/16" air gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?
      Ok, I guess I will start there. I will have to buy a compression tester, they seem to be pretty cheap online. All cylinders should be firing pretty close to one another as far as PSI right? Where should I go next if I find a cylinder that is firing less than all the others?

Comment

Do those two tests first, then we;ll go from there. I don't want to type out what isn't necessary.

You can buy an adjustable air gap spark tester at most auto part stores... or build the following:
        (Spark Tester - Home Made)
        (J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

This can obviously be modified to a 6 or 8 cylinder setup tester.

Comment

Working...
        X