No announcement yet.

1964 Johnson RDL-26 40 hp Fuel problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Johnson RDL-26 40 hp Fuel problem?

My outboard won't run at full throttle, it stutters then stalls. The motor will run fine at low speeds. I noticed the glass fuel bulb is only about 1/2 full, should it be full all the time? Any thing else I can check? Thanks.

The fuel filter never being full is normal and is not a problem.

With both spark plugs removed, check the compression. What is the psi reading of the individual cylinders?

Check the spark at cranking speed, plugs still removed. The spark should jump a 1/4" air gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?
    NOTE that the 1/4" air gap is important!
    If you have good compression (100+ psi or so) and spark as mentioned above on both cylinders... the problem is usually a fouled carburetor.

The high speed jet is located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber, way in back of the drain screw... screwed in with 1/4x20 threads. Fuel must flow thru that jet before it has access to any other fuel passageway... and if clogged partially will result in the problem you describe.

Clean that jet carefully with a piece of single strand steel wire as solvent and compressed air just doesn't do that job properly.

Let us know what you find.

Comment

Thank you! I will give those a try.

Comment

So I back to working on this motor again, I've let it sit on the back burner for a few years. I checked the compression and both cylinders are 90 psi. The spark appears to be good and strong. When I first got the engine running 5-7 years ago, I have problems with the upper crankshaft roller bearing and seal. The original one was rusty and no good. I'm wondering if that is bad again? Anyways, I have the flywheel off and my question is this, can I take the ignition plate off without dismantling all the coils and points? I can't remember how I handled it last time. Thanks, John.

Comment

Working...
        X