Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Johnson 90 Requires Prime to Run Correctly

Hi everyone,

New poster here. I bought back our once original 1987 18' Manatee with a 1987 Johnson 90 VRO V4 outboard. We purchased this new in 1987, sold it in 1991. Anyway, I found the entire package and bought it back. Lengthy post!

Finally took the boat out on the river(, and of course, it doesn't run correctly. Wouldn't even idle without engaging the primer solenoid (push in the key).

So, I bought the repair manuals, a carb rebuild kit, and tore the carbs apart.

(Also, the previous owner removed the VRO pump and put in a replacement pump without VRO.)

Back together, ran a "little better" but now wouldn't go off idle without pushing in the key and engaging the primer.

So, took it to the local marine shop that has a good reputation, they removed the carbs and rebuilt them. Found a lot of "gunk", said it should run correctly.

Put it back on the water, now it was able to get to about 1/4 throttle then sputter and stop. Would only go past 1/4 throttle with the prime engaged - and then it ran great (had to hold in the key).

Back to the marina....they disassembled the carbs two more times. Each time I was able to get more power without engaging the prime, but still can only get about 1/2 throttle without engaging the primer.

Once I engage the primer - it runs great. Let off the prime, and it slowly reduces power until it sputters....

The marina is stumped. I'm at a loss.

Could it be an ignition problem that's masked by a rich mixture (engaging the primer)?

We all thought it was a fuel issue...looked into the fuel pump but that appears normal as well. Carbs have been gone over multiple times.

Any help is appreciated. Sadly, I went ahead an winterized the boat. Lost this season to issues.

Like I said - pushing in the key and engaging the primer - runs full RPM no issues....let off and it slowly powers down eventually sputters....can get about half throttle without engaging the primer.

Thanks!
    Curt

Pushing key in, engaging primer... you're bypassing the carburetors, fuel leads to intake manifold. Indicates carb problem.

Suspect you're not cleaning the high speed jet located in bottom middle of float chamber, accessible through the drain screw hole. Clean it manually, not solely with solvent. Fuel needs to go through that jet properly first before anything.

Comment

Thank you Joe. Figured it was the carbs, and assumed the marina would figure that out...I’ll look into your suggestion. Does anyone online sell rebuilt carbs in case they messed these up?

Comment

Carburetors are no doubt available for that 1987 90hp model on eBay, the various outboard repair shops, etc.

However, those carburetors are quite simple compared to a automotive carburetor, and a experienced mechanic should have no problem in returning them to brand new condition. It would appear that the mechanic you spoke of is either somewhat lacking in that experience... or had an off day.

Comment

Working...
        X