2000 40HP not running full speed at full throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 40HP not running full speed at full throttle

My 2000 40HP tiller, acted up the other day i was running down the river wide open 30mph as normal. Then out of no where the motor bogged down and at full throttle only runs 10mph. It doesnt cut off it will stay idling. Once you let off throttle and try to go full throttle again, it wants to go for like 2 seconds then drops back down. I changed fuel filter, fuel hoses, new primer bulb, new plugs. Thought maybe the coil pack was bad order a OEM one. Still didnt fix the issue. I can run fine no issues will the motor is cold it seems like i can run maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 mile then it will back to to the 10mph on full throttle. I tried running the carbs empty then re hooking fuel line, i did that 3 times. After the 3rd time the motor ran fine no issues for half a tank of gas about 2 trips on the water. Now today the issue has come back. Any ideas????

Probably need to remove and clean carbs. Might try bumping choke when it slows down to see if rpm's increase, if they do then carbs need cleaning. When engine boggs down shut engine off and do a spark test to see if all cylinders are firing.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Check the fuel system first ! You might have a fuel restriction.

Comment

Working...
      X