Help with Lower Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Lower Unit

I am trying to remove the carriage in the lower unit to replace the shaft seals. I am having trouble getting the carriage out of the case. This unit has what looks like a small locking tab held in with a small screw on the carriage. I have never seen a lower unit with this tab. I cant get it out, and cannot remove the tab. HELP

What motor do you have? what is the model number?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

It is a 200 GT not sure of the year but it is probably early 90's. I have rebuilt a number of lower units (this thing is a bit hard on gears) and the current lower unit is newer than the rest of the mother. It has the new style 2 bolt attachment with the little U shaped clips as compared to the older style 4 bolt one. It has what looks like a separate little tab with a small screw holding it on attached to one of the "ribs" of the carrier. I have removed the screw but cant get the tab to come loose and the carrier just will NOT move. I have a couple of pictures but it won't let me load them. Thanks

Comment

The 2 locking tabs are all that holds carrier in, once tabs are removed then will probably need to apply heat to lower unit housing then pull carrier out over prop shaft.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

OK. Any idea what the tab with the little screw is for? Thanks.

Comment

I don't remember any small screw in carrier housing, can you take a picture(picture has to be small in order to upload on forum)?
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

When I try and upload the picture it says I dont have permission.

Comment

You should be able to upload pictures as a .jpeg or a .png image but it does have to be small. you might have to upload to a photo share site like Photobucket and post a link to it.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

nope. it tells me I do not have permission to add an attachment. I have contacted the admin to give me permission,

Comment

Working...
                  X