1973 65hp Johnson stalls off idle while in geare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 65hp Johnson stalls off idle while in geare

I'm working on a 1973 65ESL73 (65hp / 3 cyl) for a friend. He told me that after warm-up last season it was very hard to re-start and would stall when put into gear. I did a rebuild on all 3 carbs and synced (strange to find no air/fuel mixture screws), replaced the starter (bad bendix), replaced the water pump just for kicks, replaced the rectifier because of low charge rate and it was cracked and adjusted the timing and idle. Maiden voyage this year, started fine and idled ok, ran in high speed lane for a few minutes then back to idle speed in the no-wake. It runs fine in gear at idle speed but as soon ask you move the throttle lever forward to increase speed it quits running like someone turned off the ignition, no stumble, just off. It restarts immediately and runs ok at idle in gear, propelling the pontoon boat but once again as soon as you give it throttle slowly or quickly it quits running. I was going to check the fuel pressure at first but then thought that it should effect it more at cooler running temperature when things are richer and fuel demand is higher. Should the primmer ball be hard all the time after initial pump-up? It is. Could this be an electrical issue when warm. No misfires Any ideas would be helpful. I have the factory Service Manual.

Make sure floats in carbs are adjusted correctly and all jets are clean. Check pickup timing and carb sync. Look for air leaks, bad gaskets on intake manifold or bypass plates. Make sure have correct spark plugs in it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the input. When you say the pickup are you speaking of the fuel pickup in the fuel tank? This is a pontoon boat with a plastic fuel tank. Is this a vented type system or closed?

Comment

No the ignition timing, it's part of the throttle and carb synchronization steps. It has to be a vented fuel tank to run.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X