2000 40hp Surging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 40hp Surging

Started a year ago and thought I had it fixed. Starts fine and runs fine. After extended runs it starts to surge. The ball is squishy and still "pumpable". I put it in neutral, pump the bulb until it gets relatively firm, back in gear and it runs fine for about 10 seconds then starts surging. Thought the hose was bad and replaced it last year. Have been running only e-free gas since so that eliminates ethanol hose issues and it's fresh gas with Sea Foam. I did notice that when I took the gas cap off the steel can, there was no "hissssss" from pressure being released. Is there a possibility this tank is not holding pressure and the cap gasket could be the culprit? I always thought that once the bulb was hard, it stayed that way until disconnected or the tank was opened because this is not staying firm. Anything else I should look at?? Thx.

The primer bulb will not stay hard, it's only purpose is to prime the fuel system. Once that is done it is just a fuel hose allow fuel to pas through it. The Metal gas tank with vented gas cap should not hold pressure in tank.
    If pumping primer bulb keeps engine running then you have problem with fuel pump, fuel hose or pickup in gas tank.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

If it was the fuel pump, would it not do it all the time? This was running great with no issues until yesterday. How do I get to the pickup? It that part of the hose connect piece on the tank. The cap is flat with no vent that I can see, unless it vents thru the bottom of the cap. Fuel pump looks to be pretty easy R/R...unless I am missing something. Hose if brand new OMC hose(not aftermarket).

Comment

If you have a 6 gallon metal tank then the gas cap is a vented cap and the replacing the fuel pickup in that tank would be expensive. I would try a new tank and hose to see if that solves problem. If not the replace fuel pump.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X