Johnson 1981 Water pumping issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 1981 Water pumping issue

Good Afternoon all.. . I'm having an issue with a 1981 60HP J60TLCIH outboard.. I have replaced the waterpump impeller and seals and o-rings. When i do a bucket test the pump is pumping water. I have placed a hose into the water tube and water comes out of the outlet nipple in the cowling so seems to be no blockages. i cant seem to figure this out.

Are you saying it wont pump water when boat is in water but it will pump running in a bucket? Probably need to replace complete water pump not just the impeller, housing may be bad.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Hey Man, so after doing a bit more research it appears the model doesn't have a self priming pump. I hadn't tested with submerging the lower end, just using muffs, and i didn't have the garden hose tap open fully, just a quarter, so im wondering if the pump wasn't primed properly. I will test today both with submergence and with full pressure on the muffs.

Comment

No outboard motors do not have self priming water pumps, the whole water pump needs to be submerged in water. Usually lower down in water up to the bottom motor mounts to get water pump to pump.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

yeah i think that was my issue. i will try later today .

Comment

Resolved now thanks guys

Comment

Working...
            X