2001 Johnson 115 surge at full throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Johnson 115 surge at full throttle

Looking for help with a 2001 Johnson 115 with the jet drive conversion (J115JPLSIF) that seems to not have enough fuel at full throttle. Engine idles well and operates normally through 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, but when placed at full throttle, engine hiccups and just seems like it is not getting enough fuel at full throttle. I found two minor fuel leaks and replaced the respective gaskets to correct the leak and currently do not have any leaks. I thought it was sucking air from somewhere and that is how I found the leaks. I just replaced the fuel line from tank to engine with a new ball and inline filter and replaced all four spark plugs and wires and both coil packs, but problem still exists. I know that the engine is 20 years old, so I was looking for problems, but can't seem to figure this one out.
    My next step is to comply with a compression check on each cylinder and to perform the fuel vacuum check outlined in the manual to test the VRO2 pump and possibly comply with oil check of VRO2 pump.
    Thanks for your help!

Have you tried pumping fuel primer bulb when it surges to see it picks rpm's back up? If runs better pumping bulb then not getting enough gas to carbs, try bumping choke to see if runs better which means carbs need to be removed and cleaned.
    Can run it on a 6 gallon portable gas tank to eliminate everything in boat and see if have a problem with boat fuel system.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I'll try both of those this weekend. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X