1996 15hp Tiller to Remote Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 15hp Tiller to Remote Conversion

Hello! Is it possible to convert a 1996 Johnson 15hp, model # J15REDD from tiller to remote? Steering, shift and throttle would be fine, I can pull start it. I'm looking to add a center console to my aluminum skiff. Thanks, Dan

The remote control conversion kit is part number 0175820 but is no longer available, not sure where you can find one.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I'm doing the same on an older 18HP. Steering was simple; 4-pulleys + stranded-cable + bicycle-handlebars w/forks.
      A little welding to mount the fork-tube under the dash, plus heat-bend the fork-legs out to a giant "T".
      Look see: Fishermen like the "steering-stick" operated while standing. Looks like a baseball bat sticking up in the air !

Gear-shift requires a push/pull cable to a handy lever near the pilot. No fast-shift-servo mechanisms. Gear change must-be slow : Forward->Neutral : then N->R : R->N : N->F.

Removing the Tiller/Throttle (also spark-advance, throttle-safety-locks ) will mean you lose the tiller. Safely starting the motor will require two people. Think about it.
      No... a 12-foot starter rope is not acceptable,,, or "Hey uh, can you reach the choke for me ?".

I'm planning on retaining the tiller, but, removing the twist throttle, shortening the shaft, and adding a short vertical lever for a second push-pull cable.
      With the twist-throttle-lever pointing UP (or DOWN) the second cable can be routed alongside the gear-shift cable.

I can photo the steering setup if you wish. The tiller will have to wait... I need some info about a carb-vacuum-line for a new vacuum-fuel-pump.

Comment

Working...
      X