No Crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Crank

1983 50hp with remote controls won’t crank. I don’t use it much at all anymore but I try to run the motor every so often and it has historically fired right up. This last time it wouldn’t even crank. I noted the ignition switch had some visible corrosion and it didn’t fell crisp to turn so I replaced it and the starter solenoid. Don’t even get a click from the solenoid. The battery is fine BTW.

Check battery cables are clean and tight, Check fuse on engine, check for 12 volts at battery terminal of starter solenoid, check for 12 volts at yellow wire terminal of starter solenoid when key switch is in start position( if not check neutral safety switch in control box and test ignition switch). Test solenoid is supplying 12 volts to starter, test starter.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Check battery cables are clean and tight, Check fuse on engine, check for 12 volts at battery terminal of starter solenoid, check for 12 volts at yellow wire terminal of starter solenoid when key switch is in start position( if not check neutral safety switch in control box and test ignition switch). Test solenoid is supplying 12 volts to starter, test starter.
      Thanks. Definitely getting 12v from the battery to the solenoid and the solenoid and starter tested good as well as the neutral safety switch. Not getting any power from the solenoid to the stater.

Comment

I think I got it. I narrowed it down with my multimeter and found major corrosion in the wiring harness plug under the tape. The red/purple wire was the culprit. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X