cam follower Johnson 9.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam follower Johnson 9.9

When taking the carb off my 1983 outboard, I broke the cam follower. I bought a new one and managed to break it too since the deign leaves a lot to be desired and even the new one was flimsy
    If I get anther one I will surely break it too so I will make one out of steel.
    My question is - what does this device do? Is it just to open the throttle when starting or does it act continuously? It has a roller but there is no sign of this actually moving when the engine is running.
    If it has not active purpose when the engine runs, I can replace it with a lever of some kind. Any deas?

thanks

So, to answer my own question, yes you can and I will make one out of stainless steel instead of this hopeless plastic thing. The cam follower simply transmits the movement of the throttle twist to the butterfly valve; Why on earth did they no use a cable like anyone sensible? I have never seen such bad design

Comment

So I repaired the old one and the new one I broke using small bolts and super glue but the plastic is so brittle they broke so I made one out of the hard plastic they use for chopping boards.
      It does the same job as the original and won't break.
      The original design has a small adjustment screw which is both necessary and makes the final product easy to break because brittle plastic is not designed to bend - what inspired them to come up with their

Comment

sorry - unnecessary

Comment

Working...
        X