Help with pressure test on a 2002 Johnson 90 hp V4 gearcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with pressure test on a 2002 Johnson 90 hp V4 gearcase

I recently did a inspection and reseal on my sons Johnson 90 HP v4 engine, which went fairly well except the 2 seals which came in the reseal kit for the propeller shaft weren't the correct size. After 2 weeks of trying to contact the seller which we purchased the reseal kit from with no response I went ahead and purchased the 2 seal separately out of pocket. Long story short I completed the reseal and went to put a pressure test on the gearcase which wouldn't hold any air at all. After I sprayed the whole gearcase down with soapy water I found that there was air coming from a little 1/4" barbed fitting on the outside of the gearcase directly behind the shift rod plate. If standing standing directly behind the gearcase upright as it would be mounted the barbed fitting would be closest to the boat side right below the mid section of the engine. What is the barbed fitting for , and what seal leaking or anything else would cause my air test to leak there? Any help or advice would be much appreciated as this was my first experience working on a outboard gearcase.

You are probably talking about the speedometer pickup hose nipple. It only has a passage down to a pitot hole in front of gearcase and does not connect to internal part of gearcase housing. It should have any air pressure coming out that nipple when pressure testing gearcase, if it does then gearcase housing needs to be replaced.
    Nipple is number 6 in this link, https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnso...ase-pxs-models
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X