115 Outboard seems to jump out of gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 Outboard seems to jump out of gear

Looking for some guidance. I am not very knowledgeable about things mechanical but I do my best to take good care of my boat and get good regular service.
    I have a Johnson 115 outboard. I'm not exactly sure what year but I'm told it was manufactured in the year just before they no longer needed to mix the gas with oil. I still need to mix my gas and oil. I can get the model/serial number if that's helpful

Summer of 2019 Engine feels like it is slipping into neutral when I try to accelerate. I suspect a spun prop so I replace the prop with one that had been reconditioned and in storage for a while. That does not help so I take it to the only repair shop that works on Johnsons. I describe the symptoms, tell them I replaced the prop and wonder if it might be the "Clutch Dog" from my limited internet search for clues. They have a long lead time/backlog so that is the end of my 2019 Boating season. 6 weeks later they finally get to it. They say they have made some adjustments and it should be good to go. It is winterized and put away since it is too late in the year to take it out again.

Summer of 2020. Put it in the water and the problem has not improved. Take it back to the same shop. Wait another 4 weeks. This time they water tested it and said the prop was spun. They said they marked the prop and ran it and it was clearly spun so the prop I put on must not have been any good. Put it back in the water and everything works well.

Summer of 2021 no issues.

Last week (2022) we had it out on Lake Michigan. Somewhat rough waters but not crazy rough. Once again when I tried to accelerate it just felt like it slipped into neutral and we had no power until I went back to a very low speed. Later that same day on an inland area ( smooth water) I tried it again and this time we had no issue accelerating.

So now I'm not sure what to do next. I could try to replace the prop again but I'm having a hard time believing it is a prop issue again. If I take it to service I will lose it for the rest of the summer before they even get to it.
    Any ideas?

Marking a line across prop shaft to prop hub is best way to check for prop slip, once it feels like it is slipping check to see if the line you put on prop is still aligned.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X