1985 70 hp vro - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 70 hp vro - advice needed

Motor starts and runs great. Have a full throttle problem. Timing, pllugs, fuel tank, tank pump and hose and clamps on the vro have all been redone. When I get to full throttle, the engine will just power down after a few hundred yards of running. Feels like gas starvation. Will run but no power at all. Turn it off for a second, fire it back up and all is well until I open it up again. Suspecting vro problem. At 400 bucks, ouch. I have a 78 vro from a 40 hp that I could swap out. Will it work? Anyone have a used unit? Possible to go back to mixed fuel in the tank and forget the vro? help!

Followup - local guy said make sure the high speed orifices are clear. Did so and and found #3 a little gummed up. Cleaned out all 3. No progress though. Took a hose and listened to the carb inlets and it sounds like #3 is missing on a regular basis. 1 and 2 sound smooth, #3 "popping". There is no evidence of the coil being damaged and a timing light shows it is firing fairly regularly. But I can hear a "pop" when running. suspect either coil or power pack. How to test? Coil to plug wire is fine. Usually when a coil goes the sealant is messed up and the housing is cracked. Not so here. Did notice that someone had replaced the #3 coil though. The ones on 1 and 2 are52508qa07t07 marked while on 3 the markings are 52508 261-x qa. Can anyone tell me if this may be a problem.
    Last edited by bill46; 06-17-2010, 04:26 PM. Reason: more info

Try pumping fuel primer bulb as engine stalls to see if engine picks back up. Try bumping choke as it stalls to see if picks back up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X