Cold Weather use and Outboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather use and Outboards

I have a 1984 185 Johnson V6. If I use the boat and then trailer the boat. Does the water in the engine completely drain? On the trailer, I leave the engine at 5 degree tilt. if there is any remaining water in engine, is it large enough volume to worry about for freezing? Other then pumping antifreeze in the engine, are there other preventative options?

Your thoughts?

I have always lived in the South, so my thoughts may not be the best. When water freezes it expands - and it will break castings. If there is no water to freeze, then there is nothing to expand and break anything.
    The water is going to drain from the engine on the ride home. As a precaution, crank it over in the drive way when you get home. (If it starts, shut off instantly.) If you have the ground clearance, then don't leave it at 5 degrees. In fact, tuck it under a little. I doubt 5 degrees is going to leave enough water in the gear case to break anything, but I'm making a long distance blind guess. There are good articles on the internet about winterizing.......

Comment

Working...
    X