New member needs advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member needs advice

Hello friends. Newby here. I just inherited a 1995 sunbird 170 fs. Its powered by a 1975 Johnson 115. Runs great but has low compression in one cylinder. Took head off and appears a piece of piston skirt broke loose and beat the head up. I was wondering if I couldn't simply replace the piston,quick honing on cylinder, rering it. Does this sound reasonable? It starts and runs very well as is just not as strong on top end as should be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

unfriendly forum

Thanks for all the help. 85 views and not a single reply. Ill simply delete this site.

Comment

yep.posted on the 22nd i got nuthin.sorry i cant help you myself

Comment

Yes, I can tell you're a Newby; you demand an instant response - for free of course.....

To properly repair your engine, there is a 99% chance you are going to need to bore that one hole and install an oversize piston and ring set. You can try doing just a cylinder hone - and maybe you will luck out. But if the wall has grooves in it, you probably are not going get compression within 10% of the other cylinders, which is where you need to be.

Oh, yes; thanks for deleting this site.

Comment

Working...
        X