Johnson 88 30 HP Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 88 30 HP Thermostat

Im working on a 88 Mod. 30 HP. Replacing water pump and gearcase shaft seals Just trying to prevent any problems in the future. The water pump impeller was in the failure mode. Im wondering if I should replace the Thermostat. Its probably the original. It looks like you have to remove the top plate on the head? Looks like a good bit of work. Need a bit of guidance here.

If you feel the motor was running hot, then yes, replace the thermostat. If the motor is a salt water motor with lots of corrosion, then that would be another reason to replace the thermostat since it would give you the chance to clean out the water jacket in the head. But, if this is a fresh water motor and has not been running hot, I'd leave that thing alone. In a similar vein, I'd never touch gear case seals unless they were already leaking. To me, that's just asking for trouble.

Yes, you will have to remove the cover on the head. It can be done with the head on the motor unless it has heavy salt corrosion, in which case it is better to pull the head so that you can work each cover screw carefully, applying heat when needed to prevent wringing off the screws.

Comment

Working...
    X