Impeller problems....defect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeller problems....defect?

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My new 2007 9.9 long shaft o/b developed an impeller problem after about 15 minutes of running time. The dealer said it was probably a burr inside the housing and replaced it with no problems......howerver, after about 5 hrs of running time, the same thing happened again. The dealer suggested that I was running the motor too high out of the water. Because it is on a sailboat, he said that it was probably caused by cavitation when in rough waters and suggested a motor mount that would put the prop deeper into the water.
    I told him that this was not the case and that I never had the boat in rough waters ( used only for coming in and going out of the harbour) and that the water level on the motor was well above the cavitation plate.
    My question (finally) is, has anyone had that problem with their motors?? I was very disapointed that this happened so soon after i'd bought the motor. I've been using the motor regularly on the same motor mount without any problems so far but I keep a close eye on the squirting water pump indicator.

Defective impeller's are extremely rare but it does happen. Since water pump impellers are excluded from warranty it's hard to get warranty on them but your dealer can contact BRP to see if they can help.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

also the non-orignal impeller will wear out quicker than the one it came from the factory with

Comment

Working...
      X