72ESL65 problems. Fairly long post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72ESL65 problems. Fairly long post.

First off my name is Keith, I've been keeping my grandparents 72ESL65 running for the past 15 years, taking it to a couple of different techs here in the north Alabama/southern Tennessee area. My problem is that every time I take the boat to a tech, another new problem all of a sudden appears. It gets old.Quick. Now, I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and I'm ordering a service manual, but was wondering if I can get some advise on the latest problem. Here goes....

Last month I took the family camping at the lake. Took the boat out, everything is fine.... I'm cruising around at plane speed, when the engine just died, like i cut the switch off. Try to start... spinning, no start. Pull a plug... wet with gas. I know nothing about marine ignition, so I take it to a local guy (older gentleman) who " knows his stuff." So a month,a rectifier and a powerpack @ $450 later, I go get the boat. Drop it in the lake, little hard to get started, but it goes... doesn't idle well (this engine has ALWAYS idled great, and started on the first couple of licks) and hesitates on acceleration. Boat gets on plane, ride around for a few minutes, back to dock we go. Try to start the boat to load it... and the engine just spins, and spins, and.. you get the point. I fiddle with the choke and fast idle lever, and get it to fire up... smokes like a banshee and will only fast idle. Dies when I try to slow idle. The guy I took it to thought the engine had recently been built, and said something about doubling the oil mixture. I said, only gaskets, no rebuild, and he said "oh...." Could too much oil cause this? (Maybe he added some, being ignorant to the situation?) I haven't called him back, kinda torqued about his whole attitude towards me and my grandfather. But, back to the main question... I know if the timing is off a little on a four stroke, it will crank and run, but as it gets warm, it gets harder to start (i.e. the free spining.) Does this occur with 2 strokes?

Thanks, Keith
    Last edited by jka7904; 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM. Reason: making the post legible.

This either is a toughy, or a no brainer. Hopefully it isn't the latter... for my own ego.

Comment

Sounds like it might be low on compression or need carbs cleaned or adjusted.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
      X