Questions about Newley purchased boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Newley purchased boat

So I'm new to this forum and new to boat ownership as well. I just recently bought a 92 model Nitor 18ft bass boat from a buddy with a 150 Johnson VRO on it that runs like an absolute champ. After doing some investigating the 150 that is on it it now I'm pretty sure that this was not the factory original motor. For example the VRO system has been bypassed and it runs on premix straight from the main fuel tank. Anyhow there are a few things that don't work being the speedometer, trim and water motor temp gauges on the console. My question is how does the speedomter work and is there a few easy things to check cause it seems common on older boats. I also want to fix the trim and water temp guage as well. I know I'm getting power to the trim guage cause it will move when the key is turned on but just won't read anything. The seloc shop manual I bought doesn't really talk about the gauges and whatnot. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I love the boat and the ole 150 runs like beast on the water!

The trim gauge is usually connected to a sending unit that has a lever mounted where the motor tilts. If the lever is broken off, it might not be reading the tilt of the motor, if it's bent and stuck in one position, you might be able too free it up, and carefully bend back into place to read tilt again. If sending unit is in place, not damaged, then you should unplug the wires and do an ohm test, with motor tilted up, moving lever by hand to see if reading changes when moving lever. If changes, look at wires to gauges. Any damaged wires may be why it's not reading the trim.

Water temp gauge, check water temp sensor for good reading, can remove and test resistance in cool water, then slowly warm water (reading temp of water), the sensor should change reading. When it reaches it's design temp (70° -90°?) Should close? Depends on sensor.

Speedometer, possibly water pressure type? Small tube down back of boat to a little arm that sticks in water, has small hole that may be blocked? If different speedometer it may be electrical, with spinning wheel at back of boat?

A good Johnson repair manual for your motor, a worthwhile investment, will tell you all you need to test all of these features, and many more. Very good to have, yes, more expensive, but it had everything for your motor.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X